Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Where I went #02

Each day on the road was an adventure. The day I travelled from Dowerin to Mingenew a storm blew across WA, and across me. Adventurous. The day I went to Coalseam Park was the first time I had ridden a distance on gravel roads. Demanding. And the day I road into Mullewa with its (what appeared to be) riot torn main street, chilling.

But the ride into New Norcia on Saturday, August 25 was absolutely awe-inspiring. Undoubtedly like many travellers, I have many times passed through New Norcia on my way to somewhere else. In my wildest dreams I never imagined buildings of such architectural beauty, such majesty, existed in Western Australia.

Two nights at the New Norcia Hotel were not enough. The hotel is very "old world" in its charm, the food was delicious and plentiful, wine and ale to fill the mood, and the service was amazingly efficient and friendly. But wait...there's more.

An extra two nights at the monastery guest house rounded off my holiday with a relaxing couple of nights of good companionship around the table, and equally good food and accommodation as had been enjoyed at the hotel. Into the mix was added a shared moment with the nine monks at evening prayers on the Monday, followed by an invitation to share dinner with them as a guest, a privilege only available to men at this stage. Next time I will go with friends, share the ambience, the food, and the experience.







New Norcia, well worth the visit. Though in the history of New Norcia we must include reference to the hardships experienced by some of the "guests" of the nuns when the schools/orphanages were still in operation. One can only hope that the benefits of a good education outweighed the difficulties they endured.